Thursday, August 22, 2013

Artist Suzanne Paddock's Thought Process For Her Painting "Profound and Ridiculous"


Profound and Ridiculous 2013 oil on canvas ~ on display until October 5th at TECAC gallery

My dog Jezebel has been a subject painted for several years.  This painting is an exploration of the fine line between what is profound, and what is often really just ridiculous.  Another example of this thought would be that moment when you don't know whether to laugh or cry.   This dog has put me in that moment many times over the years with her mischievous and yet protective ways.  Seeing this painting fresh with no context, I think of it as fun and her expression is comical.  However, the houses all have meaning. Like little poppets they sprout up as memories of places we've lived, places of personal memories, experiences, and also too~ thoughts on future memories to be made.  This linoleum floor she sets on has been repeated in several of the houses I've occupied.  The same but also different.  Nostalgic but also flush with possibilities. 

I used mostly a dry method of applying the oils.  I tend to use very little medium, but as I share with co-op members, I am beginning to explore once discarded techniques.  The floor has several layers to build up the white and keep it from blocking all the depth.  The dog is varying shades of red, yellow, and blue.  I like to work in an expressive, dreamlike style with strong narrative.  I feel my painting is a visual conversation and hope the viewer enjoys some thought or word to share back as well.



*** Please note that Suzanne will be teaching a class at the Bower Center in Bedford, VA, beginning in September.  If you are interested, please contact the Center for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment